Thursday, January 6, 2011

Free Hugs

I love stories of how a single person can make a difference or start a movement. Take the Free Hugs Campaign for example.

Sometimes, a hug is all what we need.


Free hugs is a real life controversial story of Juan Mann, A man whos sole mission was to reach out and hug a stranger to brighten up their lives.

In this age of social disconnectivity and lack of human contact, the effects of the Free Hugs campaign became phenomenal.


The free hugs movement has now spread around the world.

I absolutely love this video:


Touch (or more specifically 'good touch') is such an important thing for humans and in the often cyber world that we sometimes live in, let us never forget this. Studies have demonstrated over and over again the importance that human contact plays in our general well-being and health as well. The most alarming example was the study of Romanian orphans who died simply from a lack of being held and touched. 

I've always been a 'hugger' and I love giving and getting hugs. When you hug someone, it brings you in direct contact with them. It forms a connection. We all know that when a friend is hurting, sometimes a hug is better than all the words we can give them. A hug says 'I'm there' or 'You are supported', which is usually all we need in a time of sorrow. 

What the free hugs movement says to me is that as humans, we all need to be there for each other. When you really think about it we are all related. We are all one. It says we are willing to take down the artificial barriers that we have put up and to love one another. 

No matter what your religion, LOVE is the most important thing that shows God living in us.

One of my favorite Bible verses is 1 John 4: 7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

The free hug movement demonstrates loving our neighbor - with no strings attached. It doesn't say... wait but let me first convince you of my particular beliefs or I'll love you if you dress this particular way or follow this particular creed. It doesn't say "But you need to say I'm sorry first" or "But you've hurt me so badly". It just says 'love is here: you can have it if you want it'.


 A Whole Lotta Hugs,
Adrienne

5 comments:

Laura said...

Love the Free Hug movement and I totally agree with everything you have to say about hugs, love, and the like in this post. Thanks for spreading the movement!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Love the free hug movement! Such an uplifting post & love that bible verse. :)

Unknown said...

I truly LOVE this idea!! I have my Hug& Love Thursday Hop always stressing to hug hug hug!! :)

xoxo

Shay said...

Oh, I love this! You are so right- I cant forget about the little baby who was dieing and had no chance at surviving, per the doctors, but ended up doing just that after his mom had cuddled him for a few hours. So special!

angie on maui said...

Hi Adrienne -

I'm visiting you over from Kate's hop; I was totally lured in by the title of your link (Free Hugs)...it took me all of, oh, 10 seconds to know that I would be following you! I love your blog's positivity and feel-good vibe - one of the first things I look for while searching for new blogs to read and enjoy.

And this current post...I have the Free Hug Campaign video marked on my YouTube page as a favorite! I adore the video and the message behind it. I am a total hugger by nature and sometimes forget that not everyone is like that. It's second nature for me to hug people I just met, and I've actually had people stiffen when I do this...I totally understand the discomfort at my presumption (have to work on that!), but I DO wish that hugs were more acceptable.

Looking forward to reading along and getting to know you better!

HUGS! ;)
Angie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails