Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The True Joy



This is the true joy of life.


The being used for a purpose

Recognized by yourself as a mighty one.

The being a force of nature

Instead of a feverish, selfish

Little clod of ailments and grievances

Complaining that the world will not

Devote itself to making you happy.

I am of the opinion that my life

Belongs to the whole community

And as long as I live,

It is my privilege to do for it

Whatever I can.

I want to be thoroughly

Used up when I die,

For the harder I work the more I live.

I rejoice in life for its own sake.

Life is no brief candle to me.

It is a sort of splendid torch

Which I've got hold of

For the moment

And I want to make it burn

As brightly as possible before

Handling it on to future generations.


by George Bernard Shaw

2 comments:

Jude said...

Such beautiful and true words. He was a true thinker and observer of the human condition. (Oh, I love this image too - I used it not long ago on my blog, so maybe I'm a bit biased, heehee! :))

k said...

Those are such great words and definitely evoke a sense of excitement to accomplish those things. Love it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails