Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day Zero

Have you heard of the Day Zero Project? I randomly stumbled upon this the other day, and I think its great. Its a free site where you can make a list of 101 things you want to do in 1001 days. I'm the kind of person that likes to set goals and make lists, otherwise I can tend to be somewhat unorganized. If I say I'm going to exercise three times a week, it usually doesn't happen... but if I make a little chart and get to check it off, somehow I'm more motivated. I know it sounds silly, but it probably goes back to too many extrinsic motivating things like star charts for practicing the piano when I was a child.

Anyway, there is also an 'idea finder' thing, which is kind of fun and you can also look to see what other people have on their lists. With both of these things, you can add the item to your 'Things to do' list, your 'Someday' list, or your 'Done' list. You can also add your own things to any of these lists. 

Besides making the 'to do' lists, it was fun think about how many things I've already done. So I started making a list of 101 things I've already done and when I was done with that I decided to make a list of 501 things. I'd like to see if there are 1001 things I could say I've done eventually. If I think I'm going to do 101 things in 1000 days and I've already lived 11,000 days, I hope I that I come up with at least that many things.

I think its important in life to occasionally look at the things that we've accomplished or done in our lives (even if its just little things) . Its not out of pride, but out of thankfulness of the life given to us, and it also helps us to perhaps accomplish future goals. When we focus only of our failures, it tends to only give us greater insecurity. But when we focus on the positive things (or even how some mistakes have resulted in creating our greatest strengths), I think we live a healthier and more productive life.


Philippians 4:8 says 'Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.' I memorized this verse as a child and it has always stuck with me.

As Thanksgiving approaches for us in the United States, I think it is important to be thankful for the life that we have, to recognize how lucky we are to be alive, and to think 'on such things'.

Anyway, don't feel like you need to read this entire list, but here are my 501 'done' things. I'm still working on my 101 'to do' list. And if I've inspired you to make a list, let me know too (its on my list of things to do :) )

A Whole Lotta Love,
Adrienne

6 comments:

Apple N. said...

Oh wow, that's a great idea! I think I'll sign up for it right this afternoon. Thank you for sharing!

k said...

I have seen that! I didn't sign up though...maybe I should, I don't know. I think a list like that would stress me out because I'm so ocd about completing lists, haha :)

vintch said...

I have that exact Bible verse taped to my bulletin board at work. It's such a calming reminder:)

I love your list! All of the things you've done sound AWESOME. You are such an inspiration, and so is your lovely blog:)!

Jude said...

Oh, I've seen this around and I lovve the idea! I also get so much more motivated when there's a list - I think it's the satisfaction of being able to check something off, really helps! Excited to see/hear more about this and off to check it out!

Amy said...

That's awesome that you've done all of that! I love the idea of doing that! Can't wait to hear more on your journey!

heather said...

Adrienne! I'm so fascinated by your 501 done list! And it's not about pride at all and all about thankfulness... absolutely agree with you there! I'm going to check this out, sometimes it's fun to look back, and yes, to revel in the gratitude of it. There are so many things swimming around in my noggin right now, hahaha :) Off to check out your crazy list!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails