Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Clearing and Cleansing

I know it may sound strange, but I love spring cleaning. I love getting rid of things that I don't use any more. Sometimes it can be hard. Even though I haven't worn something in a few years, I still have this thought in the back of my mind that it could come in handy or I might just wear it again someday. Overall though, it feels great to give or throw away unnecessary things. For me, it is a spiritual act of non-attachment as well as a practical process. I feel so much lighter when I don't have these extra things around.

Last week and this weekend I spent some time cleaning out our house that we are selling. We had a tag sale and it was great to see other people find joy in or use things that I no longer value or need. In some ways it is difficult to sell this house because it has been in my family since it was built in the 1840's. It is also the first house my husband and I lived in when we got married, and we put a tremendous amount of energy into restoring it. There are so many wonderful memories. Here is our wedding day, where he is carrying me over the threshold.


Last year we bought another lovely house though, so we moved and had some people renting this one. I'm not a fan of being a landlord unfortunately, and we came to the decision to sell. Although its difficult and there are so many memories, I had to make a decision between 'holding on' to this house for sentimental reasons and have it be a burden on me, or letting it go.

Although memories are wonderful, I've learned that in order to live fully in the present, we can't focus on the past. Hopefully we can learn from it, but if we try to hold on to it, we can't move forward into the future that awaits us.

I'm also beginning to do a 'spring cleaning' for my body as well. I've never done a 'cleanse' per se, but I'm getting ready to try to cut out coffee, alcohol, sugars, meat, and more dairy from my diet. I know that I've let too much 'dust' settle and its time to get things in order. If anyone has any advice on this I welcome it.



Even though cleaning and cleansing can be hard work, it is such an integral part of creating the happy lives we all desire. A month or so ago I picked up The Happiness Project in a bookstore and read the first chapter. The author, Gretchen Rubin, found that these little things like getting rid of clutter, exercising, eating in a mindful and healthful way, getting enough sleep, etc. were so integral to creating a more happy life. I'm going to read the rest of her book at some point, but for now I'm enjoying her blog. I also just read Quantum Wellness, which I highly recommend for anyone wanting to learn more about a holistic approach to wellness.

4 comments:

Lady Grey said...

I like the idea of cleaning house and mind, body & soul at the same time.
ps: that wedding shot is sooooo sweet!

MaddyChristine Hope-Brokopp said...

A quick reply: I struggle with getting rid of the sugars so I just want to share that is a hard one, it is very addictive. BUT I bought sugarless candy at the healthfood store and it really helps carrying that with my every where I go. So if I feel like sugar I eat this sugarless chocolate or licorice and it REALLY is good and helps me to stay away from sugars. It may help you..... take care. You are making good decisions here.

JennAventures said...

I love the happiness project!

Good luck with the cleanse...they are harrrrddddd!

Kelly said...

OMG you are brave!!!
But I hear you about purging....have to do another one (of material stuff) soon. Good luck with everything, and love the photo of your wedding day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails