Monday, March 15, 2010

How does your garden grow...

I love formal gardens! I just got a bunch of new gardening books at an antique store this weekend, and there are some wonderful examples of formal gardens in them. I am very inspired for doing some major projects this year. Maybe not this major...







The thing I love about formal gardens is the symmetry and fun patterns that you can create. It is such a classic look... and once you have done the major work of design, formal gardens can actually be much easier to maintain than 'country' gardens (even though I love those too!).


This photo shows you can have formalness and symmetry, but still maintain some variety and color.


I love the idea of using different types of hedges, with different colored foliage to create a beautiful pattern.


This is an idea that I want to use for my vegetable garden.


Using potted plants and trees is another beautiful and creative way to add variety without having to actually do much gardening.



Its great when you can get some wonderful statues or focal points. I love this one.


I can't wait to get my hands dirty!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails