Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Different is good

There's a radio station in my area where their motto is 'different is good'. I like that because its true that we are all different. Even though in many ways, people can also be the same, we are all unique... each with our own individual fingerprints and ways of seeing the world. As much as we try to 'see past our differences', I think its often better not just to 'see past'... but EMBRACE our differences.

In a previous post I mentioned how I was reading the book Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid. In it, Hofstadter really challenges our way of seeing the world... to think different.

I always liked Apple's 'Think Different' campaign when I was growing up:





Then the other day I came across the book 'Whatever you Think, Think the Opposite' when I was posting about Illusion.



Speaking of thinking the opposite, have you seen Diesel's 'Be Stupid' campaign?




Speaking of stupid, there's an interesting documentary on stupidity... a subject that has actually been researched very little. Just be aware that there's some very stupid things in it and also people who say the word stupid a lot, also tend to use the f word. Also, this is about a different kind of stupidity than say in Diesel's ad or in the 'Think the Opposite' book (where they are saying that its stupid NOT to pursue your dream or think outside the box). This documentary is just about plain stupidity...


Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Another interesting documentary is on hackers. Did you know Steve Wozniak (the founder of Apple) started off as a hacker. Now thats thinking differently.



You can watch both on my random documentaries Youtube playlist.

Those are my different thoughts for the day.


Dare to be Different

1 comment:

Meg said...

i love those "think different" pictures - they are fantastic! they should bring that marketing scheme back, although i guess what they do now is a bit more in-your-face :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails